A. calamus root extract has a long history of usage in many countries: at least 2000 years in China and India. It was used as an anesthetic for headaches and toothache. It was used to lessen swelling, and constipation and for the treatment of various ailments like appetite loss, bronchitis, chest pain, colic, flatulence, gas, indigestion, cramps, diarrhea, digestive disorders, nervous disorders, sedative, rheumatism, and vascular disorders. It is found to be effective in various disorders like chronic diarrhea, intermittent fevers, tympanitis, colic, dysentery, bronchial catarrh, otitis media, cough, asthma, and glandular and abdominal tumors.
What are the benefits of using Acorus calamus root extract for the skin and body?
- Wound healing: topical administration of A. calamus root extract accelerates wound repair, which involves different steps such as collagen synthesis and maturation, wound contraction, and epithelialization.
- Moisturize the skin: A. calamus root extract also helps in moisturizing the skin.
- Antioxidant: A. calamus root extract can scavenge free radicals and thus prevent oxidative stress and aging.
- Anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory activity: several studies have recognized the anti-inflammatory potential of A. calamus root extract. The oral administration of the extract showed inhibition of cotton pellet granuloma formation, inhibition of the carragenin-induced paw edema, and inhibition of croton oil granuloma pouch inflammatory response. The immunomodulatory properties of A. calamus extract were demonstrated. The extract inhibited the proliferation of mitogen and antigen-stimulated human peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs), nitric oxide, and interleukins-2 production. Acorus Calamus root extract could help with skin conditions like eczema, dermatitis, and psoriasis.
- Anticonvulsant and antispasmodic activity: The anticonvulsant effect against the pain models in mice was observed when methanol extract of A. calamus was administered orally at 100 and 200 mg/kg doses. The anticonvulsant effect of Acorus calamus root extract was studied through the Pentylenetetrazol-induced seizures method. This study suggested that the anticonvulsant effects might be potentiated by the activity of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). Calamus oil has also been able to prevent seizures in adult albino mice.
- Anti-diabetic properties: A. calamus extract has the potential to be used in the treatment of diabetes. A. calamus root extract has also been reported to cause suppression of blood glucose levels in normal mice. A. calamus root extract had hypoglycemic effects and alpha-glucosidase inhibition and improved postprandial hyperglycemia and cardiovascular complications.
- Actions on the cardiovascular system: A. calamus root extract has been reported for its properties of lowering blood pressure and vascular modulation. A. calamus root extract was effective in the improvement of chest pain, dyspnea of effort, reduction of body weight index, improving ECG, decreasing serum cholesterol and serum low-density lipoprotein (SLDL), and increasing serum high-density lipoproteins.
- Hypolipidemic properties: A. calamus root extract demonstrated its cholesterol-reducing effect by decreasing cholesterol biosynthesis in the liver. The alcoholic extract of A. calamus containing saponins, prevents cholesterol absorption and interferes with its enterohepatic circulation, and also increases its fecal excretion.
- Actions on respiratory system: In a clinical trial of patients with moderate to severe bronchial asthma, A. calamus root extract was administered by a chewing method for 2–4 weeks. The A. calamus was found to have antiasthmatic potential without any side effects. In another study, small pieces of the rhizome were administered to asthmatic patients by a chewing method, and a significant effect in relieving of bronchospasm was observed without any side effects.
Who can use Acorus Calamus root extract?
Acorus Calamus root extract is suitable for all skin types including sensitive skin and skin of colour, but do make sure to conduct a test patch to see if you are allergic to this extract.