Arctium Majus Root Extract is a root extract of the burdock, Arctium majus.
What are the benefits of using Arctium majus root extract for the skin, body, and hair?
- Antioxidant: A. majus root extract can scavenge free radicals and reduce oxidative stress in turn reducing aging.
- Helps in promoting hair growth: A. majus root extract when applied to the scalp, can prevent hair loss and also act against dandruff.
- Anti-inflammatory effects: diarctignin, lappaol F, and arctigenin, found in the A. majus root extract, are lignans that can inhibit NO production. The excessive production of NO by iNOS is involved in various inflammatory diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, autoimmune disease, chronic inflammation, and atherosclerosis. Therefore, inhibition of NO production by iNOS in macrophages is a potential treatment for certain inflammatory diseases. It is also a potential topical remedy for skin problems such as eczema, acne, and psoriasis.
- Improve skin quality: It helps in improving skin quality/texture.
- Anti-microbial and antiviral activity: it has been reported that A. majus root extract exhibits anti-microbial activity against oral micro-organisms and is the most effective against bacteria related to endodontic pathogens such as Candida albicans, Bacillus subtilis, Lactobacillus acidophilus, and Psedomonas aeruginosa. A. majus root extract will also help to treat viruses, especially HIV.
- Anti-cancer activity: Arctigenin, an active compound found in the seeds of burdock, has the ability to eradicate nutrient-deprived cancer cells. Tannin, a phenolic compound, is one of the most common active compounds found in arctium majus root extract. It induces inhibits tumor growth, macrophage responses, and possesses immuno-modulatory properties. However, tannin is may cause stomach upset and at high concentrations, it has some dangerous side effects such as hepatic necrosis and nephrotoxicity.
- Anti-diabetic activity: inulin, a natural carbohydrate present in A. majus root extract, can act on cell surface receptors to keep the blood glucose level constant, therefore improving the tolerance to high glucose levels. It has been proven that total lignan from A. majus root extract is a safe anti-diabetic agent and may help prevent diabetic complications.
What are the side effects of Arctium Majus root extract?
The most common side effect of A. majus root extract is the induction of contact dermatitis. There was also a development of anaphylaxis due to burdock consumption.
Who can use Arctium Majus root extract?
Arctium Majus root extract is suitable for all skin types including sensitive skin and skin of colour, but do make sure to conduct a test patch to see if you are allergic to this extract.