Basil or Ocimum basilicum is a herb that has a lot of powerful antioxidants. It contains mostly methyl chavicol(estragole), eugenol, and linalool.
Basil is an important component and is used in many industries, ranging from food to cosmetics to pharmaceuticals.
Table of Contents
Benefits of using Basil extract:
- Anti-inflammatory: the anti-inflammatory activity of basil is mainly due to the presence of eugenol, which can block the activity of the enzyme cyclooxygenase (COX).
- Basil extracts stop the inflammation by stopping the release of pro-inflammatory cytokines and mediators.
- Anti-aging: the urosolic acid in basil can help to reduce fine lines, wrinkles, and, return skin elasticity. It can also moisturize the skin reducing transepidermal water loss.
- Antioxidant: basil has very high antioxidant content (e.g. phytochemicals such as phenolics and vitamins) and can contribute to diseases prevention.
- It contains flavonoids, such as orientin and vicenin and the plant also contains eugenol and anthocyanins.
- Oral health and healing: it helped to decrease plaque decompostion, less gingival inflammation, and bleeding. It also helps to heal wounds, cuts, and ulcers.
- Anti-bacterial and anti-microbial: basil contains many aromatic compounds such as linalool, eugenol, citral, methyl chavicol/estragole, limonene and methyl cinnamate. These compounds help in protecting against diseases caused by various fungi and bacteria.
- Radioprotective activity: the flavonoids vicenin and orientin were able to show great radioprotective properties than synthethic radioprotectors.
- Anti-cancer: the way basil is able to produce its anti-cancer properties is because of the presence of flavonoids.
- Use as a prophylactic agent: it is also used to treat dysentery, night blindness and conjunctivitis. The essential oils of basil have larvicidal properties antimalarial properties and eugenol is the main componant responsible for its mosquito-repellent properties. Basil leaf paste is effective against ringworm infection and to clear marks on the face.
- It helps to reduce stress, anxiety, depression, and improve mental performance.
Other benefits of basil extract:
- Anti-arthritic activity.
- Antipyretic activity.
- Immunomodulatory activity.
Who all can use basil extract?
Basil extract is suitable for all skin types including sensitive skin and skin of colour.
How to use basil extract?
Basil extract supplements are safe when used short term. It has been safely used at a dose of 500 mg daily for 60-90 days (consult a doctor). Taking basil extract orally might cause nausea or diarrhea.
Using basil extract on the skin should be safe.