Table of Contents
Benefits of using caffeine for skin:
- Antioxidant: Caffeine can protect the skin from UV radiation and pollution, in turn reducing photoaging.
- Anti-inflammatory: It also has anti-inflammatory effects which help to reduce inflammation and puffiness on the skin around the eyes.
- Anti-aging: Because of its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, caffeine is mainly used in eye creams to treat dark circles and puffiness around the eyes.
- Improves blood flow: It helps to improve blood flow in the dermal layers of the skin, improving skin clarity, hence its use as an eye cream.
- It can also reduce pigmentation and brighten the skin.
- It has the potential to reduce some forms of skin cancer.
- It may help to reduce cellulite in the skin.
How to use Caffeine for skin?
Caffeine can be used at night, it can also be used in the morning to reduce UV-induced stress.
- Take a small amount of the product and gently tap and pat the product along the orbital bone (under the eyes) of your eyes.
- You can use caffeinated topicals 2-4 nights a week if you’re able to tolerate it. Many eye creams will have 1-5% of added caffeine
- If you do not notice a difference after 6-8 weeks, then eye creams may not be for you.
What skincare ingredients can I combine it with?
- Hyaluronic acid
- Vitamin C
Benefits of using caffeine for hair:
- Promotes hair growth: Caffeine can help to improve blood flow in our skin by reducing DTH (Dihydrotestosterone), a hormone that causes hair loss.
- Promotes softer and shinier hair: if you have dull and brittle hair caffeine can actually improve the dullness and retain the moisture in the hair. Since caffeine helps to improve blood flow in the skin, it will move more nutrients to the hair promoting healthier and shinier hair.
- Can act as a natural dye: Coffee can also be used to color grey hair and leave a dark stain.
How to use Caffeine for hair?
- You might need 2-4 cups of brewed cool coffee depending on the length of your hair.
- Then pour the brewed coffee into a spray bottle.
- While your hair is wet, spray the coffee to your hair, making sure to saturate your strands. Then massage the coffee into your hair for a few minutes.
- Allow the rinse to sit on your hair for 20 minutes.
- For an extra layer of moisture, mix your leave-in conditioner with the brewed coffee before applying it to your hair.
- After 20 minutes, rinse the coffee from your hair with cold water and then pat dry.
Note: if you have light-colored hair, coffee can stain or tint your hair. To use coffee rinse for light-colored hair, use a shampoo and conditioner that has caffeine as an ingredient, instead.