Cassia tora seed extract, more commonly known as ‘Charota’ in the Hindi language in India, is a rainwater wasteland herb. For years, the leaves and seeds of Cassia tora have been used in the Ayurveda, Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), and folk medicine of the tropics for the various medicinal properties it possesses.
What are the benefits of Cassia Tora seed extract?
- Neuroprotective Activity: Cassia obtusifolia seed extract and its major constituents (anthraquinones) can help with Alzheimer’s Disease and also help in the prevention and treatment of Parkinson’s Disease.
- Antioxidant: Cassia Tora seed extract has high antioxidant levels and can scavenge free radicals and thus reduce signs of aging.
- Nephroprotective: Several studies have shown that biomolecules like toralactone-9-O-d-gentiobioside, rubrofusarin-6-O-d gentiobioside, and cassiaside present in Cassia tora possess renoprotective activities. These activities include reduction of proteinuria and decreased expression of AGE and RAGE molecules, in turn reducing glomerular inflammation.
- Hepatoprotective Activity: it can also help to mitigate liver injury caused by hepatotoxic agents and thus prevent damage to the liver.
- A laxative or Purgative effect: the purgative property of Cassia tora can be attributed to molecules like aloe-emodin and 1.8-dihydroxy 3-anthraquinone.
- Cataract protection: Cassia Tora seed extract may protect the cataract of your eyes.
- Hypolipidemic: The ethanolic extract of Cassia tora is known for its hypolipidemic activity. This molecule decreases low-density lipoproteins possibly due to the inhibition of cholesterol biosynthesis and an increase in fecal bile acid production.
- Anti-Estrogenic: Cassia tora possesses estrogenic/anti-estrogenic activity due to the presence of biomolecules like-dihydroxy naphthalenes, nor-rubrofusarin, nor-toralactone, rubrofusarin, hydroxymusizin, torachrysone. These compounds show a concentration-dependent Inhibition of 17-beta-estradiol and inhibit breast cancer MCF-7 cell proliferation.
- Skin protective: Emodin, which is found in Cassia tora is known for its anti-pigmentation nature and may prevent pigmentation of the skin.
- Anti-Psoriatic Activity: Cassia Tora seed extract will be able to help with psoriasis and calm your skin.
- Anti-Allergic properties: Cassia tora contains a bioactive molecule, aurantio-obtusin which is responsible for the anti-allergic properties.
- Anti-Cancer and Anti-Metastatic properties: the emodin present in Cassia tora seed extract also displays substantial anti-tumor activity. This molecule inhibits angiogenic and metastasis regulatory processes within cells. However, this extract can also hamper the electron transfer process in long term and hence be cytotoxic.
- Anti-Diabetic: The butanol fraction of Cassia tora seed extract has been shown to lower post-prandial blood glucose levels. This was achieved by increasing insulin production.
- Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Rheumatic: The biomolecule responsible for the anti-inflammatory property of Cassia tora is anthraquinone glycoside. This molecule has shown reduced edema and swelling in rats through the inhibition of histamine, dextran, and serotonin activity.
Who can use Cassia tora seed extract?
Cassia tora seed extract should be suitable for all skin types including sensitive skin and skin of colour, but do make sure to conduct a test patch to see if you are allergic to this extract.