Hair consists of lipids, keratin, and protein. These proteins get damaged due to solar radiation. This leads to dull, frizzy hair, split ends, and brittle hair. It also decreases the strength of the hair.
The melanin present in your hair can also protect the hair from UV damage. Light hair colors such as grey/blonde are more susceptible to UV damage. It is because these hair colors have less melanin present in them.
Sunlight can also affect the color of your hair. When the hair is exposed to the sun, the natural pigment present in the hair breaks down and the hair becomes lighter.
How can you protect your hair?
- You can protect your hair by wearing a scarf or hat or just carry an umbrella.
- You can buy products that protect the hair from UV damage, but make sure to spread the product evenly throughout the hair.
Make sure to look out for these ingredients that can protect your hair.
- Cinnamidopropyltrimonium chloride
- Dimethylpabamidopropyl laurdimonium tosylate
- Ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate
- Benzophenone-3 and -4
How to choose UV-protecting products for your hair?
- These ingredients perform better in leave-on products. With rinse-off products, the UV filters get washed away
- These products can perform better if they contain silicones, as silicones can spread the ingredients throughout the hair.
- Antioxidants present in the product can also protect the hair from UV damage but do make sure to see that it contains UV filters first.
- Vegetable oils won’t provide any protection for your hair.
- An SPF value won’t tell you how much it will provide protection got your hair. Look for UV filters.