Dupilumab is a biologic drug that inhibits IL-4 and IL-13 (receptors), which are the major factors of type 2 inflammatory diseases like asthma, eczema, and chronic rhinosinusitis with nasal polyps. It is the first biological therapy to be approved for the treatment of Chronic Rhinosinusitis with Nasal Polyps (CRSwNP) in the EU and the USA.
A case study showed that the addition of dupilumab (300 mg every 2 weeks) to the corticosteroid treatment of adults with severe, inadequately controlled CRSwNP improved:
- Nasal polyp size
- Sinus opacification and health-related quality of life
- It relieved nasal congestion or obstruction, nasal discharge, and loss of smell which are the major symptoms of CRSwNP.
- It reduced the need for nasal polyp surgery and the use of corticosteroids.
- Improvements in the above-mentioned symptoms were achieved regardless of the presence of comorbid asthma or NSAID-exacerbated respiratory disease, or a history of previous nasal polyp surgery, with
- Patients with comorbid asthma also showed improvements in lung function and asthma control regardless of their baseline eosinophil count.
This study showed that dupilumab can be an effective treatment for Chronic Rhinosinusitis with Nasal Polyps. If you’re planning to use dupilumab to treat CRSwNP, make sure to consult a doctor.