Folium Artemisiae Argyi is a Chinese herb that is commonly known as Artemisia, Mugwort Leaf, or Argyi Wormwood Leaf. It is native to China, Mongolia, Japan, Korea, and the Russian Far East. It is known in Chinese as àicǎo or ài yè or ài hao and in Japanese as gaiyou.
Table of Contents
What are the benefits of Folium Artemisiae Argyi?
- It helps to treat dysmenorrhea, infertility, and menstrual bleeding.
- This herb can increase the blood supply to the pelvic region and stimulate menstruation.
- It helps with phlegm, asthma, and cough.
- The essential oil of Folium Artemisiae Argyi can help to treat skin conditions such as eczema (atopic dermatitis) and psoriasis because of its anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties. This essential oil can also be used with skincare actives such as vitamin C and retinol.
- It helps to disperse cold and alleviate pain (like cold abdominal pain and cold menstrual pain).
- It can help to stop itching and eliminate dampness.
Other benefits and Interesting Facts:
- The Japanese believe this herb to be good for tonifying Blood.
- This herb may help to regulate the flow of Qi and Blood.
- This herb may help to inhibit the growth of cancer cells.
- For warts, you can use this herb fresh and apply it to the lesions several times daily until warts fall off by themselves.
- This herb may help to treat goiter.
- This herb is used for the treatment of type 1 or immediate allergic reactions.
Who should not use Folium Artemisiae Argyi?
- Use the herb with caution for those with Blood Heat.
- Use the herb with caution for those with Yin Deficiency.
- If it is applied topically, it may cause itching and redness so make sure to conduct a patch test to see if you’re allergic to this plant.
- If it is taken internally, it may increase food consumption and appetite.
There is not much scientific evidence that Folium Artemisiae Argyi can help with the benefits mentioned above and medical conditions. Always consult a doctor before using herbs or any plant extracts.