Lindera strychnifolia or Uyaku is a root extract used in traditional Asian medicine to treat stomach and renal diseases, neuralgia, rheumatism, and aging.
What are the benefits of lindera strychnifolia root extract?
- Antioxidant: it can help to scavenge free radicals, reduce oxidative stress and protect the skin.
- Anti-Allergic and anti-Inflammatory activities: there are studies showing that eight phenolic glycoside compounds isolated from lindera strychnifolia root extract show strong anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory activity and can, therefore, be further developed into effective therapeutic agents with modification.
- Anti-tyrosinase: it also displays anti-tyrosinase activity meaning that it can be used in skin whitening cosmetics.
- Helps with hair loss: A study showed that Lindera strychnifolia root extract helped to restore a healthy bacterial and fungal scalp microflora after 83 days of treatment. This means that it can reduce hair loss and stimulate hair growth, thus increasing hair density.
- Antiplatelet activity: one study showed the effect of Lindera strychnifolia root extract’s platelet, coagulation, and thromboembolism activities and was proven effective.
- Vasoprotective and antihypertensive activity: the (+)-episesamin present in Lindera strychnifolia root extract showed strong antioxidant properties suggesting that it has potential for the treatment of VSMC activation-associated vascular diseases, such as atherosclerosis, hypertension, and cardiovascular disorders.
- It shows great cytotoxicity and antibacterial activity.
- It can help with diabetic nephropathy.
- It displays neuroprotective activity.
Who can use lindera strychnifolia root extract?
lindera strychnifolia root extract should be suitable to use for all skin types but you should make sure to check if you’re allergic to this extract.