Paeonia lactiflora root extract is a traditional Chinese herbal medicine that has been used for more than 1200 years. It has been used to treat rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, hepatitis, dysmenorrhea, muscle cramping, spasms, and fever.
The ethanol extract of the root now known as total glucosides of peony (TGP) contains more than 15 components and Paeoniflorin is the most abundant ingredient found in the root.
Table of Contents
Benefits of Paeonia lactiflora root extract:
- Anti-inflammatory: The TGP present in the root has been shown to inhibit anti-inflammatory properties.
- Analgesic effect of TGP: There are studies showing that Paeoniflorin present in the roots has to ability to relieve pain, but not much data is present.
- May help with hyperpigmentation: A study showed that the main ingredient paeoniflorin in paeonia lactiflora root extract showed dipigmenting potential and can be used in skincare cosmetics to reduce the severity of some hyperpigmented skin disorders.
- Antioxidant properties: it can also protect the skin from free radicals and thus prevent oxidative stress.
- Antispasmodic activity: the root extract also has the ability to reduce the effects of muscle spasms
- Anti-allergic effects: there are also studies showing that the root extract has some anti-allergic properties but the evidence is limited.
Other great benefits:
- Antipyretic activity.
- Antiviral, antibacterial, and anti-fungal properties.
- Anti-hyperlipidaemic ability, and
- Antitumor activity.
Many of these properties have no effect (and even if they do it’s only a little) and the evidence is also limited.
Who all can use it?
Paeonia lactiflora root extract should be safe to use for all skin types including sensitive skin and skin of colour, but do make sure you do not have an allergic reaction to the plant.
Which products contain Paeonia lactiflora root extract?
Paeonia lactiflora root extract is used in brands such as Sulwhasoo and The History of Whoo. These brands use Hanbang skincare and are totally different from western skincare.