Rice is an ingredient that is used in Asian culture. It is also used by Asian women to cleanse and wash hair. It also contains many nutrients and compounds.
Table of Contents
Benefits of using rice:
- Contains phytocompounds: Rice contains many nutrients and compounds such as protein, peptides, fiber, polysaccharides, minerals, and phytocompounds. These phytocompounds are ferulic acid, phytic acid, phenols, fatty acids, gamma oryzanol, anti-tyrosinase peptides, and vitamin E.
- Antioxidant: rice contains ferulic acid, vitamin E, and phenols (caffeic acid, p-Coumaric acid).
- Anti-inflammatory: It contains polysaccharides and gamma oryzanol which can decrease inflammation.
- Brightening: It has phytic acid which is an AHA used for exfoliation. It is a very gentle exfoliant.
- Anti-androgen: It can help with hair loss.
- Anti-melanogenic: It has anti-tyrosinase peptides which have a similar structure to tyrosine. Basically, it can help with hyperpigmentation
- Anti-microbial: It has zinc and selenium which can inhibit microorganisms.
Who all can use rice?
Rice is suitable for all skin types including sensitive skin and skin of colour. It has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-microbial, anti-androgen, and anti-melanogenic properties making it suitable for all skin types.
How to use Rice in my skincare routine?
You can use this ingredient for your skin and hair routine.
How to make rice water for skin and hair?
- Step 1: Rinse and strain the rice to remove dirt and impurities.
- Step 2: mix the strained rice in warm water. You can mix the rice or let the rice sit and soak for 30 mins. The mixture should be cloudy and milky.
- Step 3: Strain the rice and make sure to reserve the water and store the rice water in a container and let it sit for 12-24 hours. Do not leave it for more than 24 hours.
- Step 4: You can use the rice water for cleaning your hair and washing your face.
You can also make a rice bath to calm itchy and irritated skin.
Step 1: Rinse and strain the rice to remove dirt and impurities.
Step 2: Sprinkle the rice over the bottom of the tub. Climb into the tub and soak for 15 mins. Pat the skin dry with a gentle towel and moisturize. Avoid scrubbing as it can lead to irritation.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Does rice water promote hair growth and prevent hair loss?
Yes, rice water can promote hair growth because it has anti-androgen properties that can prevent hair loss and is also rich in vitamins and protein.
Can rice water whiten skin?
Yes, rice water can brighten the skin because it contains Phytic acid which is an AHA that helps with gentle exfoliation.
Can rice water help with dandruff?
Yes, rice water can help with dandruff because it has moisturizing and anti-microbial properties.