Table of Contents
What is a BB cream?
BB stands for “Beauty Balm” or “Blemish Balm”. It was developed in Germany for patients to help them recover from facial procedures. It helped to heal and repair the skin. It was popularized in Korea as a base primer for makeup.
BB creams may contain:
- Anti-aging, antioxidants (vitamin A, E, and C), and
- sun protection ingredients (like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide).
Benefits of using BB creams:
- Is a hydrating balm (good for dry skin).
- It provides light to medium coverage.
- They can be used by people who don’t need full coverage or a heavy feel.
- Very light.
- Looks natural.
Cons of using BB creams:
- The shade range of BB creams is limited.
- They only provide light coverage.
- They are suitable for skin (younger skin) that has little to no blemishes.
What is a CC cream?
CC stands for “Colour Corrective” or “Complexion Corrective” creams. It helps to even out skin tone.
CC creams may contain:
- Brightening ingredients
- Anti-redness, and
- sun protection ingredients ((like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide).
Benefits of using CC creams:
- The shade range of CC creams has more options.
- It provides medium to full coverage.
- It is suitable for oily, acne-prone skin, aged skin (fine lines and wrinkles), blemishes or pigment spots, acne marks, or scars.
Cons of using CC creams:
- It is less hydrating, and not suitable for dry skin
- Looks more like makeup, because it is more pigmented, but not a foundation.
What are Tinted Moisturizers?
They are moisturizers with a shade or hint of colour.
Tinted moisturizers can contain moisturizing ingredients like hyaluronic acid and glycerin and can have some sun protection.
They can be also be used instead of a foundation.
Benefits of using Tinted Moisturizers:
It is suitable for all skin types including sensitive skin and skin of colour. It can also maintain skin hydration.
Cons of using Tinted Moisturizers:
- The shade range depends on the brand.
- They provide the least coverage comparing it to BB creams and CC creams.
How to select the best BB creams, CC creams, and tinted moisturizers?
Look for creams that have moisturizing (hyaluronic acid, glycerin), antioxidants (vitamin A, C, and E) and sun protection ingredients.
When buying BB creams, CC creams, and tinted moisturizers for oily or acne-prone skin, make sure it is oil-free and non-comedogenic.
How to add BB creams, CC creams, and tinted moisturizers to my skincare routine?
- Start with a gentle cleanser
- Toner (optional)
- Apply skincare actives (vitamin C or niacinamide)
- Then finish it off with sunscreen
- After you finish applying your moisturizer and sunscreen, wait for 30 mins.
- Apply primer.
- Apply BB cream or CC cream.
- Now you can apply or skip foundation or just go for a tinted moisturizer.
- Then finish it off with a concealer.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can CC creams or BB creams replace sunscreen?
No, CC creams or BB creams cannot replace sunscreens as they only provide a little bit of protection against UV radiation. You should always use sunscreens no matter what. You can use bb creams or cc creams along with sunscreens to get that extra protection, but never skin sunscreen.
Can CC creams or BB creams replace moisturizer?
CC creams or BB creams are designed to hide the blemishes on our face and also provide moisture along with some sun protection. These creams can be used as moisturizers, but won’t fully moisturize your face nor do they work like normal moisturizers or you can just use them together.
Can CC creams or BB creams replace concealers?
CC creams and BB creams can be used instead of concealers or you can just use it together.
Can CC creams or BB creams be used as a primer?
Yes, BB creams and CC creams can be used as a primer. After applying your BB or CC creams, you can apply your foundation or tinted moisturizer and finish it off with a concealer.
Can CC creams or BB creams replace foundation?
A CC cream could replace a foundation as it is heavier and thicker, but a BB cream cannot replace a foundation as it is lighter and offers light to medium coverage and it is more for young skin and not mature skin.
Is BB cream and CC cream the same?
BB cream gives light to medium coverage whereas, CC cream gives medium to full coverage. BB creams are suitable for dry and younger skin whereas, CC creams are more suitable for oily, acne-prone skin, aged skin.
Does BB cream or CC cream cover dark circles?
BB cream cannot cover dark circles, but a CC cream can as it is heavier and thicker.
Can I use BB cream and powder foundation?
Yes, BB cream and powder foundation can be used together. It will offer more coverage and also conceal fine lines and wrinkles.
can I use BB cream with sunscreen?
No, it is not good to use BB cream with sunscreen as it can make the sunscreen ineffective. It;’s better to use them separately.