Acemella oleracea is an annual herb that grows to a height of 15 – 30 cm. It contains different phytochemicals like alkaloids, tannins, anthraquinone, glycosides, flavonoids, saponins, and cardiac glycosides that have a wide variety of benefits.
What are the benefits of using Acmella oleracea extract for the skin and body?
- Toothache treatment: Acmella oleracea extract is commonly known as the toothache plant. It derives the name of ‘toothache’ plant from the compound ‘spilanthol’, which is used to reduce the pain associated with toothaches and also can induce saliva secretions. It was reported that Acmella oleracea extract is used as anaesthetic for toothache and as an antipyretic
- Diuretic and Renal Stone: A. olerecea extract has strong diuretic activity and the ability to dissolve urinary calculi. A. oleracea extract’s strong diuretic action in rats was determined by using cold water.
- Scurvey, Scabies, Psoriasis: Acmella oleracea extract is used as preventive medicine for scurvy and stimulating digestion. Ayurvedic system of medicine A.olerecea flower heads and roots are used in the treatment of scabies, psoriasis, and scurvy, and also leaves were used externally in the treatment of skin diseases.
- Treatment For Rheumatisms: Acmella oleracea extract has been used traditionally as a tonic for the treatment of rheumatism, gout, sailagogine. The whole plant can be used in the treatment of dysentery and rheumatism.
- Hepatoprotective: it was also found to provide significant protection against toxin-induced liver damage.
- Gastrointestinal Diseases: in Indo-China, the plant is used to treat dysentery. Filipinos make use of the roots to treat constipation. The flower head is chewed by the Indonesians to promote salivation.
- Anti-aging, skin tightening, and anti-wrinkle properties: Spilanthol, the active compound in Acmella oleracea extract, is a fast-working myorelaxant and helps stimulate the contractile force of the fibroblast which will help to firm and tighten the dermis. Acmella oleracea Extract is used to stimulate, reorganize and reinforce the collagen network in anti-age applications. It also limits the micro-contractions that aggravate facial wrinkles. This reduction of wrinkles leads to significantly smoother skin.
- Other benefits: It protects the individual from colds and flu, can be used as a treatment for malaria, it is traditionally used for flu, cough, rabies diseases, stomatitis, tuberculosis, throat complaints, headache, and fever. An Indian tribe used Acmella oleracea to treat fungal skin conditions, such as ringworm, athlete’s foot, and nail infections. It has vasorelaxant activity and antioxidant activity.
- Analgesic: Acmella oleracea extract was orally administered to male rats and their analgesic potential was determined at different post-treatment periods by using a hot plate and tail flick tests.
Who can use Acmella oleracea extract?
Acmella oleracea extract is suitable for all skin types including sensitive skin and skin of colour, but do make sure to conduct a test patch to see if you are allergic to this extract.