A. Orientale tuber extract has attracted widespread attention due to its promising pharmacological activities. It has traditionally been used for the treatment of edema, gonorrhea with turbid urine, oliguria, leukorrhea, diarrhea, and dizziness, while modern pharmacological studies mainly focus on its diuretic, anti-urolithiatic, anti-atherosclerotic, antinephritic, immunomodulatory, and hepatoprotective activities.
What are the benefits of Alisma Orientale Tuber extract?
- Diuretic Activity: According to traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), A. Orientale tuber extract possesses the ability to remove dampness and promote water metabolism, which has been validated by its widely reported diuretic activity. A series of modern studies have confirmed that A. Orientale tuber extract has diuretic effects. These studies suggest that A. Orientale tuber extract has a dual effect on renal function, including the promotion of diuretic activity at lower doses and the inhibition of diuretic activity at higher doses.
- Anti-Urolithiatic Activity (preventing the formation of calculi in the kidneys, ureters, or bladder): A. Orientale tuber extract is commonly used to cure urolithiasis and has been used to prevent CaOx stone formation in China folk medicine for thousands of years. There are studies showing that A. Orientale tuber extract displayed significant anti-urolithiatic activities and can be used to prevent calculi in the kidneys.
- Anti-Atherosclerotic Activity: A series of studies have indicated that A. Orientale tuber extract exerts anti-atherosclerotic activities by suppressing inflammatory responses, regulating lipid levels, and inhibiting endothelial cell injuries. It was reported that A. Orientale has lipid-lowering and anti-inflammatory effects. In addition, an in vivo study revealed that the oral administration of A. Orientale tuber extract (6 g/kg/day) for 10 days significantly lowered the total cholesterol and triglyceride concentrations and enhanced the high-density lipoprotein cholesterol of animals fed a high-fat diet.
- Antinephritic Activity: Sairei-to, a formula composed of twelve herbal medicines (A. Orientale, Polyporus umbellatus Fries, etc.), has long been used for the treatment of nephritis diseases. The antinephritic activity of Sairei-to in rats with anti-glomerular basement membrane (GBM) nephritis was investigated. Sairei-to exhibited a promising antinephritic effect on nephritic rats, partially by inhibiting the endothelin-1 synthesis in the glomeruli. Furthermore, A. Orientale, a principal component of the 12 herbs composing Sairei-to, was regarded as principally responsible for the inhibitory action. Additional studies have shown that oral administration of the methanol fraction of A. Orientale inhibits endothelin-1 production both in nephritic rats and in vitro and the alisols are supposed to be the antinephritic constituents.
- Hepatoprotective Activity: A. Orientale tuber extract and its alisols may be potential clinical candidates for the treatment of liver diseases.
- Immunomodulatory Activity: A. Orientale tuber extract also helps to stimulate or suppress the immune system and may help the body fight cancer, infection, or other diseases.
- Anti-allergic: The anti-allergic effect of A. Orientale against type III hypersensitivity to methanol and aqueous extracts was investigated in 1997. The results showed that the methanol extract significantly inhibited paw swelling in the direct passive Arthus reaction in rats, while the aqueous extract was ineffective. Furthermore, alisol A, alisol A acetate, alisol B, and alisol B acetate were the four triterpenoids proven to be the active ingredients. Additionally, the methanol extract of A. Orientale also exhibited an inhibitory effect on type I, II, and IV hypersensitivity.
Who can use Alisma Orientale Tuber extract?
Alisma Orientale Tuber extract is suitable for all skin types including sensitive skin and skin of colour, but do make sure to conduct a test patch to see if you are allergic to this extract.