Anemarrhena asphodeloides Bunge is a famous Chinese Materia Medica and has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for more than two thousand years. Steroidal saponins are important active components isolated from A. asphodeloides Bunge. Among these, the accumulation of numerous experimental studies involved in Timosaponin AIII (Timo AIII) draws our attention in recent decades.
What are the benefits of Anemarrhena asphodeloides root extract?
- Anti-cancer: the Timo AIII present in A. asphodeloides root extract presented cytotoxicity effects in various kinds of cancer cells including hepatocellular cancer, cervical cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer, nasopharyngeal cancer, ovarian carcinoma, osteosarcoma, leukemia, pancreatic cancer, lung cancer, renal cancer, chronic myelogenous leukemia, melanoma, and so on.
- Anti-neuronal disorders: the Timo AIII present in A. asphodeloides root extract may help with neuronal disorders like Alzheimer’s disease and depression.
- Anti-inflammatory: A. asphodeloides root extract also has anti-inflammatory properties that can help with various skin diseases.
- Anti-coagulant: it can inhibit the coagulation of the blood.
- Anti-Virus: Timo AIII from the A. asphodeloides root extract and found that Timo AIII significantly inhibited the propagation of Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV).
- Anti-Allergy: Timo AIII inhibited the passive cutaneous anaphylaxis reaction and scratching behaviors in mice while further studies revealed that sarsasapogenin, one of the metabolites of Timo AIII, was the active metabolic compound in Timo AIII-induced anti-allergy.
- Anti-Platelet and Anti-Thrombotic Activity: A. asphodeloides root extract can prevent the formation of blood clots and can help with many cardiovascular diseases, such as coronary heart disease, atherosclerosis, and strokes.
- Anti-aging and Anti-UVB Radiation: A. asphodeloides root extract can protect the skin from UVB radiation and thus prevent aging.
Who all can use Anemarrhena asphodeloides root extract?
Anemarrhena asphodeloides root extract should be suitable for all skin types including sensitive skin and skin of colour, but do make sure to conduct a test patch to see if you are allergic to this extract.