Aphloia Theiformis is an evergreen treelet that is used in traditional medicine. Aphloia Theiformis has been used alone or in combination with other medicinal plants for the management of various diseases including dysentery, jaundice, skin infections, gastrointestinal infections, fever, rheumatism, ulcers, cataract, diabetes, wound healing, and antipyretic.
What are the benefits of Aphloia theiformis leaf extract?
- Treatment for various diseases: A. theiformis leaf extract was found to inhibit action against enzymes related to diabetes, obesity, pancreatic lipase, cholesterol esterase, Alzheimer’s disease, hypertension, and kidney stone formation.
- Anti-diabetic and anti-glycation: the anti-diabetic properties of A. theiformis leaf extract can be attributed due to the presence of mangiferin. Studies showed that A. theiformis leaf extract expressed anti-glycation properties and retarded glucose diffusion in vitro.
- Photo-protective and anti-aging: A. theiformis leaf extract has photo-protective and anti-aging properties and is attributed to the presence of mangiferin. Mangiferin inhibits the activity of elastase and collagenase.
- Anti-chikungunya: a group of researchers has indicated that A. theiformis leaf extract displayed high anti-chikungunya activity and may help with treating it.
- Anti-plasmodial activity: A. theiformis leaf extract showed anti-plasmodial activity against a strain of Plasmodium falciparum (responsible for malaria in man).
- Anti-microbial activity: This extract also has a microbial activity that against various bacteria.
Who can use Aphloia theiformis leaf extract?
Aphloia theiformis leaf extract is suitable for all skin types including sensitive skin and skin of colour, but do make sure to conduct a test patch to see if you are allergic to this extract.