Artemisia scoparia extract or Red Stem Wormwood is an aromatic annual herb. This herb is currently used for the treatment of burns, Jaundice, and hepatitis. It is also used for the cure of earache. For chest infections, it is inhaled as fumes. The leaves of the plants were mashed with water and this paste is used for the treatment of earache.
This medicine can reduce heat, normalize the function of the gallbladder, promote diuresis, and in the treatment of jaundice. This medication has been used in many traditional prescriptions. It has also been used for the management of cancer as an antitumor agent. In the case of acute oral ulcer and icteric infectious hepatitis. A bagged tea was made by Artemisia scoparia by washing it, drying in the air, crushing it, and then mixing it with high-quality green tea sterilized by baking, screening, and then packing in the bags. These bags were used for promoting the growth rate of liver cells, resisting microbes, reducing blood pressure, and anti-pyresis.
What are the benefits of Artemisia scoparia extract?
- Antioxidant Activity: A. scoparia extract has outstanding scavenging activity. This helps to protect the skin from oxidative stress and thus reduces aging.
- Antimicrobial activity: A. scoparia extract was used against five different bacterial species as Bacillus subtilis, Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli, Canadida albican, and Pseudomonas aeruginosa has been found to have good antibacterial activity. Artemisia scoparia extract also shows antifungal activity.
- Anti-nociceptive, Anti-inflammatory, and antipyretic activity: A. scoparia extract has been used for the treatment of pain, fibril conditions, and inflammation. The extract of the Artemisia scoparia is prepared as Artemisia scoparia hydro-methanolic extract which is administrated in mice to reduce the pain in mice. Administration of a single dose of ASHME reduced significantly carrageenan and encouraged paw edema in mice. This shows that Artemisia scoparia Hydromethanolic extract has anti-inflammatory and antinociceptive. The antipyretic activity of the jhahoo is due to the presence of the chlorogenic acid butyl ester and magnolioside.
- Analgesic activity: A. scoparia extract also has analgesic activity due to the presence of chlorogenic acid, coumarin, cappillarisin, butyl ester, magnolioside, and b-sitosterol. These constituents are present throughout the plant.
- Anti-malarial activity: Artemisia scoparia has been reported to show anti-malarial activity. It contains a phyto-active component named artemisinine, which is responsible for antimalarial activity.
- Insecticidal activity: the essential oil of the aerial part of Artemisia scoparia has excellent insecticidal activity against insects. The insecticidal activity checked against the 7-day-old insect Tribolium castaneum showed that insects exposed to the vapor of the essential oils died after 24 hours.
- Bio herbicidal activity: Artemisia scoparia extract can stop the growth of some plants like weeds.
- Anti-obesity activity: Artemisia scoparia extract has been shown to help with obesity.
Who can use Artemisia scoparia extract?
Artemisia scoparia extract should be suitable for all skin types including sensitive skin and skin of colour, but do make sure to conduct a test patch to see if you are allergic to this extract.