Avena strigosa seed extract or black oat extract is an extract of the seeds of Avena strigosa.
What are the benefits of using Avena Strigosa seed extract?
- Humectant: Avena Strigosa seed extract has a high content of beta-glucan and starches that have the ability to retain and hold water in. This helps to reduce TEWL and moisturize the skin.
- Emollient: Avena Strigosa seed extract is high in lipids such as triglycerides and fatty acids. These lipids can act as an emollient which can strengthen the skin barrier. It can make the skin soft, and smooth, and fill in the gaps to improve dry skin.
- It contains avenanthremides that can calm irritated skin: Oats contain low-molecular-weight, compounds called avenanthramides which are not present in other cereal grains. These compounds are antipathogens that are produced by the plant to defend itself against fungi. As a result, they help reduce oxidative stress and can soothe, and calm irritated skin.
- Antioxidant: They produce antioxidants like caffeic acid, ferulic acid, and p-coumaric acid. They also make their own compounds to prevent the degradation of antioxidants by absorbing UV and helping with stability.
- Can be used for hair: in hair applications, the polysaccharides and amino acids in black oats improve the structure of the surface of the hair, making it easier to comb, and improving shine.
- Cleanse the skin: Avena Strigosa seed extract can be used as a cleanser, many people also use oatmeal baths to treat a variety of skin conditions such as contact dermatitis, rosacea, and eczema. They basically serve as natural soap.
Who can use Avena Strigosa seed extract?
Avena Strigosa seed extract is suitable for all skin types including sensitive skin and skin of colour. It helps to calm irritated skin and moisturize it.