Bisabolol or alpha-bisabolol is a colorless oily liquid and is the main component of chamomile essential oil. It is also present in the bark of the Candeia tree of Brazil.
Table of Contents
Benefits of using Bisabolol:
- Anti-inflammatory: bisbolol can reduce inflammation like redness, swelling, and pain. It can also reduce irritation and soothe the skin.
- It can help with hyperpigmentation: bisabolol can help with hyperpigmentaion and melasma and this was done by giving bisabolol in a base-cream preparation to 28 females (the cream was applied once a day to the back for 8 weeks). These 28 women also applied a vehicle control cream to the pigmented skin.
- After 8 weeks of treatment, the alpha-bisabalol-containing-cream showed significant lightening effect in the pigmented skin. This lightening effect was seen for majority of the women.
- It is anti-aging: It can also help with fine lines, wrinkles, and stimulate collagen production.
- Antioxidant: It can protect the skin from UV damage, free radicals, and environmental pollutants.
- It can increase the bioavailability of compounds: bisabolol can increase the penetration of other actives into the skin like retinol or vitamin C.
- Moisturizes the skin: Bisabolol can also work as a moisturizer and be used everyday.
- Anti-microbial and antibacterial: it can also disinfect and protect the skin from various bacteria’s in the environment.
- Wound healing properties: applying bisabolol can speed up the wound healing process and repair the skin
Who all can use Bisabolol?
Bisabolol is suitable for all skin types including dry skin, sensitive skin, and skin of colour, but make sure you do not have any allergic reaction to this ingredient.
It is mainly used by people who have acne, psoriasis, and eczema.
Bisabolol may aggravate the irritation in some situations.
How to add bisabolol into my skincare routine?
Bisabolol is available in every skincare product like sunscreens, moisturizers, creams, essential oils, makeup, bath soaps, shaving products, cleansers, and many more.
If you are using bisabolol essential oil, you can apply it after using your skincare actives (like niacinamide or retinol) and moisturizer.
Bisabolol for hair:
Bisabolol can help to promote hair growth and prevent hair loss effectively without toxicity and side effects.
Frequently asked questions:
Is Bisabolol safe for pregnancy and breastfeeding?
Bisabolol can be safe to use for pregnancy if it is in your moisturizer or sunscreen.
Is Bisabolol comedogenic?
No, bisabolol is not comedogenic and won’t clog the pores, in fact, it can be used to treat acne to some extent, though it won’t fully cure your acne.
Is Bisabolol halal?
Yes, bisabolol is halal since it is a component of chamomile essential oil and is completely safe to use.