Soapwort extract or Saponaria officinalis is a plant that is native to Southern and Central Europe, Asia Minor, and Western Siberia. The extract is made from the roots, though the leaves and stems may also be used.
Table of Contents
Benefits of using Soapwort extract:
- Contains saponins: saponins have health-promoting componants that effect the immune system and helps the body to fight against cancers, and also lower cholesterol levels. They also decrease blood lipids, lower cancer risks, and lower blood glucose.
- Antioxidant: soapwort can protect the skin from free radicals and UV damage
- Anti-inflammatory and can soothe the skin: It can also reduce inflammation like redness, swelling, pain and in turn give a soothing sensation. It can also relieve itchiness.
- Rich in flavnoids: It contains flavnoids like isovitexin 7-o-glucoside, isovitexin (apigenin), orientin 7-o-glucoside, orientin, and isoorientin. All of these flavnoids have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-aging, antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral, and vasodilator properties.
- It also contains Vitamin C: vitamin C is very important for the body and can act as an antioxidant and also an anti-aging agent.
- It can also be used to treat eczema, acne, and psoriasis.
Who all can use Soapwort extract?
Soapwort extract is suitable for all skin types including sensitive skin and skin of colour, but you should make sure to conduct a patch test and see if you have any allergic reaction to this ingredient.
It may aggravate your itchiness in some situations.
What is soapwort extract used in?
It is used in cleansers, soaps, body washes, acne and eczema treatments, and shampoo.
How to make soapwort shampoo?
You will need:
- 3 tablespoons fresh soapwort or 1 tablespoon of dried soapwort , and
- 1 cup of water
- Boil the water and add soapwort leaves.
- Cover the pan and turn down the heat to let it simmer for 15 mintues.
- Let it cool off
- Strain the infusion through a kitchen towel or a cheesecloth into a jar or bottle.
Give the bottle a shake and you can see the bubbles forming. You can then use it a shampoo but it won’t be bubbly as a regular shampoo.