Fructus Gardeniae is one of the most commonly used Chinese herbs in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM). It is usually prescribed for the treatment of vascular aging, brain aging, bone and joint aging, and other age-related diseases.
Table of Contents
What are the Benefits of Fructus Gardeniae?
- It may help to treat excess heat in the heart, stomach, and liver with high fever, a stifling sensation in the chest insomnia or delirious speech, irritability, restlessness, eye problems, anger, and jaundice.
- It may help to treat damp-heat in the lower jiao with painful urinary dysfunction.
- It may help to treat damp-heat in the liver/gallbladder with jaundice.
- It may help to treat damp-heat in the gallbladder and San Jiao channels of the face affecting the nose and eyes or causing sores in the mouth or facial region.
- It may help to treat heat in the blood with hematemesis, epistaxis, hemifacial, or hematuria.
- It may help to treat blood stagnation due to trauma when applied topically.
- Contraindicated for those with loss of appetite or loose stool due to spleen and stomach deficiency cold.
- Contraindicated for those with blood deficiency heat.
- Contraindicated for those with epigastric and abdominal pain that is not caused by fire.
- Use caution when driving or operating heavy machinery.
Fructus Gardeniae has a sedative effect and may increase drug-induced sleep time when used concurrently with sedatives such as narcotic analgesics, antihistamines, barbiturates, benzodiazepines, and others.
There is not much scientific evidence that Fructus Gardeniae can help with the benefits mentioned above and medical conditions. Always consult a doctor before using herbs or any plant extracts.