Orange blossom is extracted from the blossom of the bitter orange tree. You might have also heard about neroli essential oil which is also extracted from the same blossom. Orange blossom is sweeter, warmer, and more floral than neroli. It is also used in perfume making.
The petals of orange blossom can also be made into scented orange flower water or orange blossom water.
Table of Contents
What is the difference between Orange blossom and Neroli?
The difference between how neroli oil and orange blossom smell and how they are referred to by different names is because of the way they are extracted. Neroli is extracted by steam distillation and orange blossom is extracted by enfleurage.
Orange blossom is used in many products and you can also make orange blossom water, orange blossom honey, and orange blossom essential oil or simply known as neroli oil.
Benefits of using Orange Blossom water:
- Soothes redness and irritation.
- Hydrate your face.
- Soothes sunburns
Benefits of using Orange Blossom essential oil or Neroli oil:
- It can help reduce acne breakouts.
- Inhalation of neroli oil can help with menopause, high blood pressure, low libido, anxiety, and stress.
- Inhaling neroli oil can reduce anxiety and pain during the first stages of contraction (women in the first stages of labour).
- It can reduce irritation and redness.
- It contains linalool, linalyl acetate, nerolidol, (E,E)-farnesol, α-terpineol, limonene.
How to use neroli oil?
You can apply neroli oil directly to the skin or mix it with another carrier oil (argan oil, almond oil) since it is an essential oil.
You can also use neroli oil to treat acne breakouts or inflamed skin.
Neroli is suitable for all skin types, especially sensitive skin and skin of colour. Make sure to not use neroli oil if you are allergic to orange blossom.
Benefits of using Orange Blossom honey:
- High in antioxidants: Orange blossom honey contains quercetin, hesperitin, luteolin, kaempferol, galangin, naringenin and isorhamnetin. These are antioxidants with anti-inflammatory, anti-allergy, anti-cancer and immune supporting effects in the body. The antioxidants in orange blossom honey may help to protect your skin against free radical damage and chronic illnesses.
- High in minerals: just like honey, orange blossom also contains calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium and zinc.
- Anti-bacterial: orange blossom can help to protect the skin from bacteria.
- Helps in wound healing and many other benefits.