Tremella fuciformis or snow mushroom is a species of fungus. It is commonly known as snow fungus, snow ear, silver ear fungus, white jelly mushroom, and snow mushroom.
Table of Contents
Benefits of using Snow Mushroom:
- It is a humectant: tremella can deliver hydration and help improve moisture retention as it holds nearly 500 times its weight in water. Some studies show that tremella is more beneficial than hyaluronic acid because it has smaller molecules than hyaluronic acid and as a result it can penetrate faster into the skin.
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles: since tremella is a humectant, it can enhance the firmness and elasticity of the skin, thus reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
- Antioxidants: remella mushrooms contains polysaccharides which have been shown to have anti-aging and antioxidant effects because of their ability to prevent cell damage that’s caused by free radicals.
- Brightens complexion: tremella can brighten you face.
- It contains high amounts of vitamin D: tremella has high amounts of vitamin D which is essential for the human body. It can help keep bones, teeth and muscles healthy.
- Reduces inflammation: there are studies showing that tremella mushrooms can inhibit the development and spread of inflammation. The study concluded that tremella mushroom polysaccharides could be potential agents in preventing inflammation from spreading.
- Reduce high cholesterol: eating tremella mushrooms may help to reduce high cholestrol.
- Tremella mushrooms can support your immune system: your immune system plays an important role in protectting your body from infections and diseases.
- Tremella mushrooms may have anti-cancer and anti-tumor properties: Tremella may help to prevent cancer because of the polysaccharides present in them. A study showed that these polysaccharides can inhibit tumor growth and prevent oncogenesis (a process by which healthy body cells become cancerous).
Other great health benefits of Snow mushroom:
- Improves memory and learning capabilities (it may be able to treat Alzheimer’s disease).
- Lowers blood sugar.
- It can repair neurological damage.
- Can help with chronic coughs.
- It can protect the liver and prevent any diseases.
- It can prevents osteoporosis
- It can improve stomach health and intestinal health.
- It can also help with weight loss.
Snow mushroom for skin:
Snow mushrooms are safe for all skin types including sensitive skin and skin of colour. It is more suitable for people with rosacea, eczema, and very dry skin mainly because of its anti-inflammatory and moisturizing properties.
How to cook Snow mushrooms?
Tremella mushrooms are normally sold in dried form.
This is how you can prepare the tremella mushrooms before cooking them:
- Cover the dried mushroom in water and let it sit for 1-3 hours till it becomes soft.
- trim off the bottom part as it remains hard after soaking.
- cut the mushroom into small pieces and wash it throughly.
After preparing the mushrooms, bring 1 cup of water to a boil.
Add 1/4 cup of oats and the chopped fungus, then let it simmer for about 5 minutes. You can add dates or almonds along with this porridge.
When you’re making a soup out of tremella mushrooms:
- You will need 6 cups of water in a cooking pot and then add the mushrooms.
- Once it reaches the boiling point, lower the heat and let it simmer for 45 mins.
- After the 45 mins, you can add some dates or almonds and let it cook for another 20 mins.
- You can then pour the soup into a seperate bowl.
- Once its cooled down, you can add a teaspoon of honey to the soup and enjoy.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Are snow mushrooms safe for pregnancy?
No, snow mushrooms are not safe to consume while pregnant. It’s better to use products containing snow mushrooms as it is safer and also make sure to consult a doctor before adding a product into your skincare routine while pregnant.