Table of Contents
What is Sebaceous Hyperplasia?
Sebaceous Hyperplasia presents as little yellow bumps with a dent in the center and can be pretty numerous. It occurs on the face and body and can look like many common skin cancers out there (it’s not skin cancer). That’s why it is better to get it diagnosed by a doctor.
What causes Sebaceous Hyperplasia?
Sebaceous hyperplasia might be caused by low levels of hormones in older men and women. Those hormones play a key role in oil gland production and as these levels decline the oil gland production is delayed and they become bigger.
This is just a theory though and there is not much evidence.
Another reason would just be genetics.
Who can get Sebaceous Hyperplasia?
It tends to occur in adults, newborn babies, and organ transplant recipients.
How to treat Sebaceous Hyperplasia?
There is no cure and is something you have to treat from time to time.
First, you will have to get it diagnosed by a doctor instead of assuming it is skin cancer. Electrodessication is a method commonly used to treat sebaceous hyperplasia but might leave scarring. There are also microdermabrasion and resurfacing lasers that might help.
Using a topical retinoid like tretinoin, retinol, differin (adapalene), and accutane can also help clear sebaceous hyperplasia, however stopping the use of retinoids may cause them to come back.
AHA/BHAs and castor oil are some other methods people have used.
What are some products for Sebaceous Hyperplasia?
Two OTC products we recommend for Sebaceous Hyperplasia:
- Differin Adapalene Gel 0.1% Acne Treatment
- La Roche Posay – Effaclar Adapalene Gel 0.1%
Cleanser for Sebaceous Hyperplasia:
- Differin Gentle Cleanser
Exfoliators for Sebaceous Hyperplasia:
- Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant (leave-on product)
Moisturizers for Sebaceous Hyperplasia:
- Cerave PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion
- Differin Gel Moisturizer
- Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel Moisturizer
- La Roche Posay | Toleriane Fluide Oil-Free Moisturizer
- Vanicream Daily Facial Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin
Sunscreens for Sebaceous Hyperplasia:
- EltaMD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46
- Shiseido – Urban Environment Oil-Free Sunscreen SPF 42