Chinese chive (Allium Tuberosum) is an alliaceous perennial green vegetable of the Liliaceae family.
What are the benefits of Allium Tuberosum seed extract?
- Antidiabetic and Hepatoprotective: A. tuberosum seed extract considerably reduced the blood glucose level in diabetic rats. There was a substantial amount of downregulation in serum level triglyceride, total cholesterol, and upregulation of high-density lipoprotein. The plant extract significantly reduced serum levels of aspartate amino transferase (AST), alanine aminotransferase (ALT), and alkaline phosphatase (ALP), which act as liver function enzymes. The extract was also found to mitigate tumor necrosis factor-alpha, interleukin 1b, and interleukin 6 pro-inflammatory markers. Tests for serum glutamate pyruvate transaminase and serum glutamate oxaloacetate transaminase were performed as indicators of liver cell injury. It was found that after treating with extract of A. tuberosum at a dose of 1000 mg/kg body weight, serum levels of sGPT and sGOT decreased considerably, which indicated that the plant has hepatoprotective attributes.
- Antibacterial: several studies have shown that A. tuberosum seed extract was found effective against the growth of Staphylococcus aureus, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Bacillus subtilis.
- Antifungal: A. tuberosum seed extract showed antifungal activity against Aspergillus niger, Aspergillus flavus, and Aspergillus fumigatus. Allyltrisulfide, a major essential oil found in A. tuberosum gave an inhibitory effect against A. flavus strains and Aspergillus oryzae at the minimum concentration.
- Antiparasitic: A. tuberosum seed extract also has nematicidal property against root-knot nematodes, particularly against Meloidogyne incognita J2, a parasite that attacks vascular tissues of plant root.
- Aphrodisiac: traditionally the plant is widely used for its aphrodisiac property. Studies have shown that extract of A. tuberosum significantly improved sexual behavior of sexually active and inactive male rats.
- Anticancer: A. tuberosum seed extract was found to be effective against human breast cancer cells and can prove to be an outstanding drug source for colon cancer.
- Hypolipidemic: a preliminary study showed that feeding A. tuberosum whole plant along with fermented A. tuberosum and processed sulfur ameliorated liver dysfunction and reduced serum LDL level and intraabdominal fat.
- Renoprotective: A report revealed that polysaccharides from garlic chives significantly reduced the area of renal pathogenic damage induced by adenine in mice meaning that A. tuberosum seed extract possesses renoprotective activity.
- Promotion of hair growth: the extract of A. tuberosum was found the most effective on hair growth in mice.
- Anticoagulant: A. tuberosum seed extract also gave a strong anticoagulant effect.
- Regulate hormonal balance: an experimental study showed that four different solvent extracts of A. tuberosum increased serum testosterone level and nitric oxide level, which is a major factor for the penile psychogenic erection.
Who can use Allium Tuberosum seed extract?
Allium Tuberosum seed extract is suitable for all skin types including sensitive skin and skin of colour, but do make sure to conduct a test patch to see if you are allergic to this extract.