Anthriscus sylvestris, commonly identified as wild chervil or cow’s parsley, is a wild biannual plant, mostly found in temperate regions. Traditionally, Anthriscus sylvestris has been used as an antipyretic, analgesic, diuretic, and as a cough remedy.
What are the benefits of Anthriscus sylvestris extract?
- Antioxidant activity: Anthriscus sylvestris extract has antioxidant activity that can scavenge free radicals and reduce aging.
- It contains deoxypodophyllotoxin: deoxypodophyllotoxin has antiproliferative, antitumor, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, and anti-allergic properties. It can be used as a precursor to synthesize epipodophyllotoxin, the starting material for anticancer drugs such as etoposide and teniposide.
- Reduces allergic lung inflammation: Anthriscus sylvestris root extract reduces allergic lung inflammation by regulating interferon regulatory factor 4-mediated Th2 cell activation.
- Anti-inflammatory: the deoxypodophyllotoxin present in Anthriscus sylvestris extract may be beneficial in regulating the immediate-type allergic reactions.
- Antimicrobial activity: the deoxypodophyllotoxin present in Anthriscus sylvestris extract was tested and revealed a significant antimicrobial effect against both Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria, except on Escherichia coli.
Who can use Anthriscus sylvestris extract?
Anthriscus sylvestris extract is suitable for all skin types including sensitive skin and skin of colour, but do make sure to conduct a test patch to see if you are allergic to this extract.