Stemonae Radix is a Chinese herb that is used in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) as an antitussive and insecticidal remedy.
What are the benefits of using Radix Stemonae for the skin and body?
- It moistens the lungs and stops coughing: Radix Stemonae may help with acute and chronic cough, asthma, and bronchitis.
- It expels parasites and kills lice: Radix Stemonae can be used topically for head and body lice or fleas, spider bites, as a wash for bacterial vaginosis, and as a nightly retained enema for pinworms.
- It can help with eczema: because of its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, Radix Stemonae has been used to treat eczema.
- Antioxidant and anti-tyrosinase activity: Radix Stemonae has an antioxidant and anti-tyrosinase activity that can help to scavenge free radicals, reduce oxidative stress and aging, and brighten the skin. There are studies showing that strain fermentation processing is effective in improving the antioxidant and anti-tyrosinase activities of Stemonae Radix.
- Contraindicated for those with loose stools or diarrhea from spleen deficiency.
- Do not take continuously at maximum dosage for several weeks due to cumulative toxicity.
There is not much scientific evidence saying that Radix Stemonae can help with the above-mentioned benefits and medical conditions. Always consult a doctor before using herbs or any plant extracts.